EFE Institute For Scholarships

Over 8000 Scholarships Database

Skip to: Content | Sidebar | Footer

Scholarships for Adopted Children and State Wards

17 March, 2011 (22:38) | Adopted Children Scholarship | By: Carlo Evanson

There are many ways to pay for college. Some parents start saving for it early. But not everyone has those financial circumstances. When it comes to paying for college, the rising expenses may have prospective students scrambling for alternate funding sources. This includes applying for as many grants as you may be eligible for. A lot of people can be eligible for many different types of grants.

There are grants for based on race, based on sex, different professions, and the list goes on. One little known category which may qualify you for a grant is if you have been adopted or in foster care. This grant is targeted at children in lower and middle income families that may have ended up in broken homes. Anyone who has ever been under the care of the state may apply for these grants.

These grants are not widely known, and they are not offered on the federal level. Some states offer these grants, others do not. Some of them that do offer it are Florida, Texas, Hawaii and New York. The state of Arizona also offers full scholarships to adoptees, orphans and any ward of the state.

Many states have similar programs in place. It’s just a matter of knowing where to look. One of the easiest places to find information on these types of grants is through the adoption agency in your state, preferably the one that actually handled the adoption if you can manage that.

A couple notable agencies have stepped up and now offer different grants and scholarships to adopted students. One of these is the Orphan Foundation of America, which offers aid to anyone who has ever been adopted or ever been placed in foster care. This is the closest to a federal grant as it gets.

A number of states also offer tuition waivers or reduced expenses waivers to students that have been adopted. Another easy source of information is your local library which typically keeps information on available resources for students close by for easy reference. These reference materials are usually grouped by category, and most of the times pretty comprehensive when it comes to explaining how to apply.

If for some reason you can’t access the library you will find usually that most colleges have a department of financial aid set up where there are any number of trained counselors who can not only assist you in finding grants you may be eligible for, but more often than not are willing to help you fill out and submit the application. It can save you a lot of time and stress later.

All you have do is ask the right person the right question. If you have been adopted or ever placed in foster care you are eligible for some types of financial aid. And we all know that every little bit helps. As always please remember that lying on a college application for the purpose of obtaining aid is a federal offense. The same applies for most grants. In this case you will often be asked to provide proof of your adoption or placement.

Also See:

North American Council on Adoptable Children (NACAC)
970 Raymond Avenue, Suite 106
St. Paul, MN 55114
phone: 651-644-3036
fax: 651-644-9848

Thank You For Sharing Us!


    Comment from Abby
    Time March 19, 2011 at 1:30 am

    My sister adopted a set of 12 year old twins four years ago. She and her husband have a modest income, but they are struggling to save for their college. And they don’t have much time to get the funds together. I was so pleased to see your article about Adopted Children Scholarships. I am sure my sister is going to feel very blessed to hear that she may have some help with the twins’ college funding afterall. Your comment of “All you have do is ask the right person the right question” is very true! Sometimes that makes all the difference in the world! Thanks for sharing!! I appreciate the info on this scholarship. Now, you have got me thinking to look into scholarships for TWINS! Do you know if such a scholarship exhists?

    Write a comment